Thursday, January 16, 2014

Coming Out & Made To Crave

I have been so gone, gone, gone from my Facebook life coaching page. I keep announcing that I'm on my way back and really I am...I just never...quite...make it.

So, spurred on by my amazing life coach Gail McMeekin and fellow members of a group of hers I've been in since last year, I've decided to take "imperfect action" and jump back just as I am--not ready, not organized, imperfect--but here.

I am taking an online Bible study with over 33,000 women that starts in a few days. It's called "Made to Crave" and it's about emotional eating and allowing your relationship with Jesus to evolve so that you turn to Him instead of to food to have your needs of the moment met. It is free; you just need to purchase a book. I am choosing to return to blogging now to be part of their blog hop.

I'd announced last year on my personal Facebook page that I'd become a Christian--or more accurately that I've returned to my Christian faith after many years of having an eclectic spirituality made up of pretty much anything I liked or that inspired me. This really did work well for me at that time. I am also grateful for this time, as I do believe that we each have our unique path to follow in life.

I returned to Jesus in April of 2013. It's an interesting story that I'll tell you later. . Inspired by my friend Heather Plett back in August I "came out" as a Christian on my personal Facebook page, writing this:

I wanted to share my FB friend Heather Plett's post. She is bravely "coming out" spiritually. I too have been growing and changing on my long spiritual journey and definitely identify as a Christian now. Strongly. This is a huge change for me. Huge. Huge. Huge. World-view leans, shifts. Everything, everything changes.
It is truly miraculous as well. I feel some hesitation in sharing this because some of the most hateful people I know are Christians. This has always stopped me cold. And I am way, way too old to become a hater.

In my experience, "Christian=hater" had been the rule and my loving Christian relationships the notable exceptions. I was in and out of churches but couldn't embrace the faith fully, didn't understand what was REALLY meant by a "personal relationship with Jesus". I saw Christianity as a place for people whose personalities and lives are shaped by twisting good things and embracing bad things so that they can hate. I don't want to be judged as being like them. So it's scary to share this here.

I think that Christianity can be a fantastic place to hide if you want to be a hater, maybe easier than other faiths or where one has no faith, definitely easier than the exquisite place most of my friends share--a place of a generous, loving, positive spirituality. But despite all of this, Christianity also can be a place to encounter Jesus in a profound way, and to rip away what our culture says about Him and learn to love from Him. And ways to live from Him. That's where I am. Farther on my long journey, in a good way.

So now I'm out, too.

Thank you, Heather!

So today I wanted to share this with you! I know that some of you will be disappointed that Inner Sanctuary Life Coaching has changed in this direction; others of you will be enthusiastic. No matter, I invite you to stay and find out more.

Back in October of 2012 I started a 100 pound weight loss journey. I am currently 34 pounds or a third of the way there. No matter what your personal beliefs are, I wish you would stay and cheer me on. You are welcome, and I value your input. If you want to follow me on my journey, subscribe to my blog or Like my Facebook Inner Sanctuary Life Coaching page. The posts on my Facebook page will be brief and hopefully inspirational.

In fact, I value your companionship so much that I would not want to make this journey without you. I think that part of the problem that has caused me to struggle in being here is not wanting to be vulnerable and drifting back into old patterns of only wanting to share from the place of "expert".

As you can see if you've read this far, I am no expert when it comes to learning about myself as I lose my extra weight. I am on an adventure and I promise and I fail and I struggle. I invite you to be here with me.

Love,

me

PS. I am signing this in this manner in honor of a special friend I have whom I've written for years. We've fallen out of touch recently, and I miss the privilege of sharing my ups and downs and struggles with this special person. So, in ending this way, I am inviting you all to visit here, to come back, to share also.

7 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with being, as I am and say, perfectly imperfect!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, this is a fantastic story of how Jesus woos each of us personally. I'm so glad He wooed you! And, as another imperfect human on this weight loss journey to healthier cravings, thank you for the encouragements!

    :) Missy (Small Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great writer, Olivia. I'm glad we're on this journey together. We are imperfect, but we are overcomers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! We are God's amazing, beautiful and captivating daughters - that's why we are so under attack!
    We are made for more! We are empowered ! Through Jesus Christ!
    Be blessed and I'm fighting this fight with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Olivia! I popped over here from Momastery and have been looking around on your wonderful blog. It's good to hear your stories, to hear the similarity in a sister's struggles and strengths. I also wrote a post for the Messy Beautiful project. Mine touches on weight loss, which is why I thought to share it here. http://tenthousandplaces.org/2014/04/15/accept-let-go-my-messy-beautiful/
    Love and light to you,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone, for your comments here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica, your post is great and I encourage everyone to visit via the link and read your story: http://tenthousandplaces.org/2014/04/15/accept-let-go-my-messy-beautiful/ Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete